Last Updated on March 6, 2019 by Frank
In order to maximize your perfume’s scent and longevity, proper application is vital. If you think there’s nothing more to applying perfume or cologne than a quick spray, this guide is for you.
Benefits of roll-on perfumes
Roll-on perfumes are very popular these days and almost every leading perfume designer offers them. The Versace Homme Dylan Blue perfume, for instance, comes as a roll-on perfume. The major benefit to roll-on perfumes is their convenient size. It is small enough to just throw in your handbag and have available at any time. Because of their compact size they won’t spill and cause a mess, and they make for a great travel companion.
There are some things to keep in mind when you use them. You can apply a roll-on perfume the same way as a normal perfume, just apply the right amount to your desired body area. Choose one of the pulse points like your wrists, the base of the throat or the bend of elbows. If you like, you can maximize the roll-on perfume by layering with similar fragrances. If your skin is very sensitive, try to avoid using roll-on perfumes that contain alcohol. There are many non-alcohol roll-ons that are made from pure perfume oils.
Facts about perfume oils
Perfumes have had a rich history since the Persian doctor and chemist Avicenna first extracted oil from roses to create rose water. In general, perfumes consist of essential oils and aroma compounds. However, there is a difference between perfume and perfume oils. Perfumes like the Zen perfume by Shiseido are primarily composed of alcohol, while perfume oils consist of highly concentrated extracts of flowers, plants and different spices. Perfumes that are primarily composed of alcohol and perfume oils are suspended in a much more viscous medium which makes their scent long-lasting. There are also differences between the perfume oils.
The highest quality of perfume oil is the so-called grade perfume oil. This is the purest type of perfume oil because it is uncut and contains no additives. This type of oil can even develop a more intense scent over time because of the maturing process. These perfume oils can be used on your body like ordinary perfumes. Here are some tips on how to use perfume oil:
- Always store perfume oils in a cool, dry place with no direct sunlight.
- Apply them only to your pulse points rather than spraying them, because they are highly concentrated.
- Pure uncut oils are not safe for direct application on the skin. Some oil extracts are meant to be diluted before application.
Apart from that, perfume oils are also used in many other products like candles, body lotion and aroma lamps.
How to get rid of the perfume smell
You are stressed out in the morning because you have to catch the bus. While hastily getting ready, you applied too much Versace Homme Dylan Blue perfume. Since you don’t want to smell like a perfumery the whole day, check out our tips about how you can get rid of this obtrusive smell:
- Use unscented baby wipes to get rid of the smell by wiping the areas where you applied perfume. Be sure to avoid touching delicate fabrics with the wipes. This can cause them to bleed or discolor.
- Rub some unscented hand sanitizer into the area on the skin where you applied too much. This trick is strictly for skin only.
- Unscented hand lotion will also help remove the extra scent. Just rub a handful into the area of skin where you applied it for about a minute and then rise with water.
- Make a paste from baking soda and water and then apply it to the skin where perfume was sprayed.
- If all else fails, quickly take a shower!
Wearing Perfume Outdoors
When you are outdoors, wearing perfume can be a challenge. Sometimes we pick perfumes that fade away or gets lost when going outdoors. The rule of thumb is to put on a stronger scent that might be too much for the office environment but great in an environment of flowers and trees.
Jaipur for women contains a blend of melons, peaches and plums and surrounds every woman with an exotic scent. Aqva Pour Homme Atlantiqve would fit perfectly for a spring or summer day in the park due its Woody Aquatic scent with hints of Sicilian Lemon, Calabrian bergamot and sea notes. Another great day time scent, especially if you are going to be running around outside, is Safari perfume by Ralph Lauren. It is classified as a refreshing, gentle, floral fragrance. A blend of green florals and warm citrus notes create a feminine scent that is great for afternoon errands.
Where to apply perfumes
Have you ever wondered why the Daisy perfume, which has been your favourite for a very long time, smells different than what you are used to? Maybe it’s because you changed the way you apply it. Here are some tips on how to apply perfumes properly that will ensure it smells the way it was intended to:
- Always apply perfume before you put on any clothing or jewelry.
- There are five main areas on your body where you should apply perfume: your wrists, the base of the throat, behind the ear lobes, the bend of elbows and your cleavage. These areas are also called pulse points.
- Remember that less is always more. Spray the perfume lightly on a cotton ball and apply it to one of your pulse points.
- Don’t rub your inner wrists after applying perfume because this could change the scent considerably.
- Use an unscented body lotion after having a shower. This prevents the fragrances from mixing when you apply your perfume.
- Never apply perfume to your hair as it can react with the hair products you use.
- Sometimes changes in your hormone level can create a different scent out of your perfume.